Big Brothers Big Sisters
– Big Brothers Big Sisters chapters have stepped up to keep kids connected and supported through this time of social distancing and school closures. More than ever, one-on-one youth mentoring plays a significant role in maintaining balance and providing support as youth navigate their lives moving forward. Many chapters are providing the families they serve with relief services within their local communities, such as internet access to assist youth in completing online schoolwork and adults work remotely to provide for their families.
A BBBS Northwestern Wisconsin parent recently reflected on her family’s experience with BBBS and said, “My son and I are so glad that we have his Big Brother right now. With everything going on and with him not being able to see his friends at school, just knowing there’s someone that he can reach out to makes things easier.”
With the support of many great community partners, BBBS can achieve its mission of helping children reach their full potential as positive, productive members of society through one-on-one mentoring. Youth with responsible adult mentors are more likely to focus on school, gain confidence, and dream BIG. This year, with the help of the Sonnentag Foundation, over 3,000 youth have a Big to look up to and help prepare them for future full of BIG successes.
Your Giving in Action!
The impacts a Big can have on a Little are immeasurable.
Big Brother Willie and Little Brother Nigel have been matched for five years. Within that time, Willie helped Nigel succeed in school, build his self-confidence, and explore new interests. Nigel graduated high school earlier this year and is continuing his education by pursuing pharmacology. “Willie has impacted my life by giving me a positive male role model who looks like me, encourages me, and strengthens me daily,” he said.
*BBBS Chapters Represented:
- Johnson County, Iowa City, IA
- Central Indiana, Indianapolis, IN
- Central Illinois – Champaign, Danville,
- Bloomington, Decatur and Springfield, IL
- Mid-Illinois, Charleston, IL
- South Central Wisconsin, Delavan, WI
- Northwestern Wisconsin, Eau Claire, WI
- Northeast Wisconsin, Green Bay, WI
- Seven Rivers Region, La Crosse, WI
- Dane County, Madison, WI
- East Central Wisconsin, Neenah, WI
- Central Wisconsin, Stevens Point, WI
- Northcentral Wisconsin, Wausau, WI